A career as a doula is rewarding.
You can get endless satisfaction from being a postpartum doula. It is amazing to make a living by helping families transition from pregnancy to parenthood — feeling reassured and supported.
Whether you are looking to begin an inspiring career in maternity care or adding new professional development certification for your current career, we hope you’ll consider a DONA International postpartum doula workshop at HeadFirst, taught by Yana Katzap-Nackman. This California postpartum doula training includes 27 hours of engaging, interactive content, offered in two formats: a four-day workshop, or once a week class for seven weeks.
Why train with me?
As you get started in your doula career, I will encourage you to think about what makes you unique among doulas. Everyone has gifts to share with the world. Here are just some of the things that make me and my postpartum doula training unique:
• As a board certified lactation consultant, I know the complexities of breastfeeding and will prepare you to support breastfeeding families.
• I’m one of Southern California’s most experienced doulas, with 15 successful years supporting families.
• Being a postpartum doula is part of my current daily life. I’m actively working day-to-day as a postpartum doula, so I can share the realities of this field and what Millennial clients are currently looking for.
• I am also a certified birth doula, which brings a richer perspective to my postpartum trainings, especially as we talk about the relationship between birth and postpartum care.
• People tell me I’m patient, empathetic and funny. I will hold space for your educational growth and we’ll have a great time together.
• I’ve spent time on the DONA International certification committee, so I can mentor you through the certification process and share tips on sending off a complete packet for review and certification.
What to expect…
Whether you participate over four days or in a seven-week series, this training is 27 hours of postpartum goodness! Topics include:
- The Role of the Postpartum Doula
- Newborn Care
- Lactation Support
- Postpartum Physical Changes
- Business Management & Marketing
- Effective Communication
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Loss & Grief
- Multiples & Preemies
- Resource and Referral List Development
- DONA Postpartum Doula Certification Requirements
This workshop is the first step toward becoming certified with DONA International. Please review the DONA International guide for certification before we start our time together.
There are prerequisite assignments required prior to attending my workshop. Please read one book from each section of the partial reading list below:
Section One: Becoming a Mother (choose one)
Misconceptions: Truth, Lies, and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood by Wolf (2013) Mothering the New Mother: Women’s Feelings and Needs after Childbirth: A Support and Resource Guide by Packsin (2000) The Year after Childbirth: Enjoying Your Body, Your Relationships, and Yourself in Your Baby’s First Year by Kitzinger (1996)*
Section Two: The Newborn/Infant Care and Development (choose one)
The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know about Your Baby from Birth to Age Two by Sears (2013) The Mother of All Baby Books: The Ultimate Guide to Your Baby’s First Year by Douglas (2012) The Wonder Weeks: How to Stimulate Your Baby’s Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases into Magical Leaps Forward by Plooij (2013) Touchpoints: Birth to Three: Your Child’s Emotional and Behavioral Development by Brazelton (2006) Your Baby is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby by Nugent (2011) Your Amazing Newborn by Klaus *
Section Three: Breastfeeding (choose one)
Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers by Morhbacher and Kendall-Tackett (2010) Dr. Jack Newman’s Guide to Breastfeeding by Newman (2014) The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Wiessinger and West (2010) Working and Breastfeeding Made Simple by Mohrbacher (2014)
Let’s make it official!
Are you ready to register and take the first step toward this new career? Any questions first? Email me through the contact page. Otherwise, let’s get you registered.
View Workshop Listings