Are our Ready to be a Parent?
New babies are such a blessing, and they can bring with them sleepless nights, crying, and sometimes quite a bit of stress.
We offer supportive classes created specifically for parents to help you understand your baby
Newborn Care Class
HeadFirst Newborn Care Class is a must for all expectant or intended parents. The approach is comprehensive and fun! Newborn parents and caregivers are invited to learn how to understand their newborn baby and support them in a loving way.
After attending this class you will have the tools to be able to anticipate and meet your baby’s physical and emotional needs.
Our small class sizes allow for more intimate interaction and discussion time for couples.
- After the birth – understanding your baby’s immediate postpartum time
- Baby’s states and what they communicate
- Understanding signs of over stimulation/under stimulation
- Baby care – Baby diapering, burping, swaddling, cord care
- Techniques to sooth your baby
- Baby bath – Sponge bath and immersion bath
- Tips on venturing out for the first time, slings, diaper bags and breastfeeding in public
Instructor: Yana Katzap-Nackman, postpartum doula trainer, lactation consultant, Happiest baby on The Block Instructor and a mother of two.
Class time: 2.5 hours
Class Fee: $65 for single & $100 for couple
This class gets you and your baby off to a great start with information that will empower you on your breastfeeding journey. Our three-hour class will get you ready for the first hour, first days and weeks of your breastfeeding “career.” We teach the basics of positioning and latch. Make time for social practice with dolls and answer all your questions.
- Cultural Expectations of newborn mothers
- Skin to Skin and breastfeeding
- Breast anatomy & physiology – How does it work?
- Breastfeeding in a hospital setting
- Breastfeeding in the first weeks of life
- Getting to know baby’s reflexes & feeding cues
- How to tell if your baby is getting enough milk
- Support from partner & family
- How to avoid early BF challenges: sore nipples, engorgement, ,mastitis
- When to ask for help/refer out to a certified lactation consultant
- Going back to work & pumping
- How to breastfeed in public
Our classes are intimate to allow for connection between participants and answer all your questions.
Doulas in the process of certification are invited to register for this class. It is DONA CEUs Approved.
Instructor: Yana Katzap-Nackman BA,CD(DONA), PCD(DONA),IBCLC, RLC an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, Lactation Educator, Certified Birth & Postpartum Doula and a breastfeeding mother.